Modern Domestic Lift Services: What You Need to Know
If your staircase is keeping you from the upstairs area of your household or if you are unable to safely climb in and out of your shower, you might feel as though your decreased mobility and limited range of motion are starting to get the best of you. Our golden years are supposed to entail independence, self-sufficiency, and most importantly, unmitigated freedom, which is why you should never resign yourself to living in a home that is unable to cater to your physical ailments.
Fortunately, domestic lift services nowadays are able to provide solutions that allow even the most mobility-challenged individuals to regain control over their domestic lives and finally take back the entire living space. However, this particular niche is chock-full of various companies claiming to provide top-notch provisions and implements, which is why the onus is on you, as a prudent consumer, to separate the contenders from the pretenders before contracting any type of installation.
In this regard, feel free to use this brief article as a checklist to help you vet and scrutinise the local domestic lift services in your vicinity, which is a huge boon for any first-time buyer.
Accreditations and Experience
Before we take a look at the specific products and services you should look out for, it’s important to make sure your shortlist is comprised only of firms that are held in high regard by the nation’s regulatory agencies. As such, you should highlight the domestic lift companies in your vicinity that are endorsed and certified by the following bodies:
- Lift and Escalator Industry Association (LEIA)
- ISOQAR Registered
- UKAS Management Systems
Plus, every firm on your shortlist should have at least 15 years of experience within the industry. This requirement is the best way to avoid novice contractors, fast-talking charlatans, and newly incorporated pop-up companies.
Suite of Services
Next, you’ll want to compare and contrast each organisation’s suite of services and relevant proficiencies. In this regard, you should ensure that every company you come across can provide comprehensive assessments, installations, repairs, and upkeep for the following line of products:
- Straight Stairlifts: If your stairs don’t feature any corners or internal landings, you’ll want to have access to a wide selection of modernised straight stairlifts, such as the Thyssen Homeglide, Brooks Lincoln, and Platinum Horizon Plus.
- Curved Stairlifts: For homes with unique, curved stairs or distinctive landings, it’s important to work with a company that can procure a wide range of contemporary curved stairlifts including the Platinum Curve, Thyssen Flow 2, and Homeadapt Elite Curve.
- Hoists and Shower Chairs: All of the products should be rust-proof, water-proof, slip-resistant, and of sturdy construct, ideally with the option to dismantle or disassemble for easy cleaning.
- Through Floor Lifts: If a stairlift is not a viable option based on your unique mobility issues or the makeup of your home, you’ll be best served by contracting the installation of a wheelchair-friendly elevator as opposed to a stair-based conveyance system.
If you find a company that check all of these conceptual boxes, the last step of your research will entail scheduling no-obligation consultations to identify the specific scope of your options. Before you know it, you’ll have full access to your entire home and you’ll finally be able to turn everyday mobility issues into a thing of the past.