Know the Versatility of Bluestone in Landscape Architecture
The only stone that continuously has specified its designs in architecture is bluestone. What is a bluestone? A sedimentary rock mostly found in the southwestern parts of New York. They are used for landscape architectural projects all over the world. It is also available in a variety of hues other than blue. It may be blue-gray or rusty brown or light purple in color. It is extremely durable and is powerful enough to withstand all the weather conditions. The texture of bluestone is a fine-grained texture. This makes the surface non-slip, especially for walkways and pool patios. If you consider the general and the generic characteristics of the bluestone, then you will find that it is one of the different types of stones, which are referred to as flagstone.
How many facets of Bluestone exist?
- The other types of flagstones beside bluestone are slate, travertine, limestone, sandstone, and quartzite. The bluestone is used to design the landscape in the patio and walkway areas.
- There are different types of bluestone products and is used for various purposes. They may be used for pool coping or retaining walls. The wall cladding and wall caps all done with a bluestone.
- The homeowners prefer to use bluestones in stepping stones and arrival areas. This makes the house look very attractive.
- The countertops used for outdoor kitchens are made of bluestone. The places like stone veneers for chimneys and mantles for outdoor places are all made of bluestone to give it a modern look.
Why has bluestone become so popular?
The bluestone used for landscaping industry adds a natural and aesthetic look to the property. It is used in various places in and around your house and is a versatile material. There are many advantages of this stone, which has made it popular. They are:
- The durability is the most important characteristic of this stone. This is the first requirement for any homeowner when they have decided to decorate the house. The composition of the stone is dense and hard. Therefore, it can withstand extreme weather conditions. The texture of the stone adds to its toughness.
- The stone used is safe and so it can be used around the pool, as it has a non-slippery finish. Hence, make sure to apply it in those areas where it is likely to be wet and slippery. The natural texture of bluestone not only makes it safe but also long lasting.
- The bluestone can be installed easily and is available in various dimensions as well as thickness. Hence, used in both residential and commercial construction work.
- The stones are available in the market in a wide range of colours. They may be either blue, or yellow, or green or even purple. You can choose any of them as per your choice to design your office or home.
- The aesthetic value of the stone adds to the luxury of the property. Therefore, it is unique and popular in the construction industry. The advantage with bluestone is that it is highly cost-effective.
Difference between flagstone and bluestone
The flagstone is a sedimentary rock but it has the ability to split the stone into layers. The bluestone is a particular type of flagstone. The flagstone is of different types and it is a popular choice for landscaping. The rich color of bluestone is used outside the landscape. Whereas, the neutral blend of flagstone is a part of the landscape. Unlike flagstone, bluestone is much more versatile in terms of stability and strength. The flagstone is comparatively cheaper to bluestone but both are generally used in smaller projects.